Car lifts, automotive lifts, truck lifts, and motorcycle lifts can all play an important role in a home or commercial garage. However, it is important that they match the vehicles you’re working on, the space you’re working in, and the type of repairs you’re doing. Otherwise, the job will become far more difficult and even dangerous if you choose the wrong type of lift. Luckily, as long as you understand what to look for, you’ll be sure to find the right lift for your needs.
Comparing Car Lifts/Automotive Lifts/Truck Lifts/Motorcycle Lifts
Be sure to watch out for poor quality and super inexpensive car lifts as well as overpriced models. This is why it’s important to purchase from a reputable dealer. Otherwise, you could be stuck with one of the hundreds of fly-by-night companies. While some of these appear to offer quality products, they’ve only been in operation for a few years, so there’s no way to tell how long their car and truck lifts will last.
The other issue with purchasing from new dealers is that a majority of the products they offer aren’t ISO-9001 compliant. In fact, many of these dealers bring machines from Asia, place their stickers on them, and put them up for sale. These automotive lifts often fall far below national standards in terms of safety and quality.
Warranty is another important consideration. Most of these poor quality units will only come with one year’s worth of warranty that covers nothing except the parts. This means that if there are any repairs, you’ll have to consult with a customer service agent over the phone to identify the problem. Then, the parts will be shipped to you, and you’ll be left on your own to make the repair. With a quality product and a reputable dealer, you’ll never have to worry. Your warranty will cover two or more years of parts and warranty and you’ll have experienced repairmen to help return your machine back to its original state.
Because these companies have survived for a number of years, you won’t have to worry about not getting the parts you need in the future. Many of these companies continue to offer parts for various models long after they’ve been discontinued.
The automotive lifts and motorcycle lifts produced by reputable companies have a lower chance of breaking down simply because they are better constructed, with higher quality materials and with better welds.
Use & Application Of Different Types Of Automotive, Truck And Motorcycle Lifts
Once you can identify the traits of good quality automotive lifts and motorcycle lifts, you need to decide which type of lift is going to work best for the work you have in mind. Here’s a look at the uses and applications for the various types of car lifts and truck lifts:
– Portable Automotive Lifts: When you want to make repairs on the go, or need a lift for car shows and similar types of events, this style is ideal. They are small, light, and easy to move around, giving you the freedom to get the job done quickly and easily no matter where you are.
– Turf Equipment, ATV, and Motorcycle Lifts: When you’re working on specialty equipment, you need specific lifts in order to do the job safely and efficiently. Motorcycle lifts are the best option for your favorite two-wheeled toy because they are designed specifically for this purpose; other styles are simply an accident waiting to happen. Turf and ATV platforms are ideal for machines because they bring the equipment up to a comfortable height while leaving you room to work on the undersides as well as giving you room to change the heads in the front.
– Two-Post Car Lifts: These are small enough to fit into a small garage or shop bay while still leaving you with room to work on the vehicle. For heavier vehicles, choose an asymmetrical design for added security.
– Four-Post Truck Lifts: The extra posts not only make this style sturdier, but they’re also a better choice for commercial repair bays because of the added convenience of driving the vehicle on and off the platform.
– Scissor Car Lifts: Professional and amateur mechanics both love this style of automotive lifts because of their ability to handle more weight and longer vehicles while still giving you enough space underneath to give you access to the undercarriage.
– Pit Truck Lifts: These are ideal for a busy automotive garage or for areas where space is at a premium because they sit flush with the floor when not in use. They also give you lots of space to work and can be either mounted in the floor or completely portable.
– Storage Lifts: Single and two posts hoists are the best choice when storing any style of vehicle for any length of time. Some of these models are completely freestanding while others will require anchoring, but either way, you’ll find these to be a secure and safe option for almost any vehicle.
Finding The Best Brands In Automotive Lifts, Truck Lifts, Car Lifts & Motorcycle Lifts
The best brand doesn’t just offer quality machines. The best brand offers an entire package that offers you the best value from start to finish. The proper regulatory authorities should certify the equipment and there should be a solid warranty on parts and labor in the event that something goes wrong. The brand itself should also have some longevity to ensure you can get parts, service, and help long after you make your purchase.